Dean, Learning Commons
Job no: 500849
Work type: Full-time
Location: District Office
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday (8:00-5:00)
Dean, Learning Commons
Job Title Code
Salary Range (Full-Time)
$100,000.00 - $160,000.00 (dependent on experience and other considerations)
Dallas College is seeking an experienced, highly collaborative leader with a proven track record of enhancing academic quality, faculty excellence, diversity, equity and inclusion, and student success in a dynamic higher education environment. The Dean, Learning Commons
1. Provides leadership for Dallas College’s Learning Commons which encompasses a team of more than 100 full and 50+ part-time staff in the areas of library services, instructional computing, tutoring, learning centers and library technology team.
2. Manages a large and diverse staff of librarians, managers, and library IT support staff across seven locations and ensures all instructional support services are strategically aligned to career-connected learning.
3. Actively collaborates with instructional and student services in supporting cross-curricular solutions and instructional support services that support student learning.
4. Coordinates facility and operational functions for libraries, instructional computing, and tutoring.
5. Works in close alignment and coordination with the academic leadership to ensure instructional support areas are in direct alignment and support of the Schools of Dallas College.
6. Drives innovation and adopts new ways of thinking within instructional support areas to respond to increasingly diverse student needs
Additional responsibilities include assisting and advising the Provost in matters pertaining to professional and technical education, and actively engaging with community and employer partners for the purpose of creating new partnerships, responsive programs, and revenue opportunities.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of the purpose of community colleges and the vision of Dallas College
• Demonstrate the capacity to apply contemporary research, best and promising practices within Learning Commons functional areas.
• Be proficient in the use of quantitative and qualitative data to drive systemic and strategic innovations to improve student learning, retention, completion, transfer and gainful employment.
• Respond appropriately to issues in a dynamic rapidly changing educational/economic environment
• An understanding of emerging technologies and the effective application of instructional-related technologies to enhance Learning Commons services
• Demonstrated commitment to the promotion of diversity and equity
• Highly collaborative leader with experience in a comparably diverse and complex college/university with a proven track record of enhancing academic quality, instructional support excellence, institutional diversity, equity and inclusion, and student success
• Excellent time management, organizational and problem-solving skills
Normal physical job functions performed within a standard office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with physical challenges to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Minimum Knowledge and Experience
• Master’s degree required
• Five (5) years of progressively responsible teaching, administrative and educational leadership experience
• Five (5) years higher education experience focused on teaching and learning
• Demonstrated successful experience in leading libraries, tutoring services or instructional computing services.
• Demonstrated distinguished record working in instructional support services with a student-centric approach
• Current and valid Texas driver’s license required
• ***Will be subject to a criminal background check. Some positions may be subject to a fingerprint check. ***
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Lead a team of diverse librarians, instructional support leaders and staff
• Through the Learning Commons approach, gain operational efficiencies and increase collaboration across the functional areas of tutoring, learning centers, instructional computing, and library services.
• Coordinate and deliver effective instructional support services at multiple locations—meeting both locational needs and specific support needs of the Schools of Dallas College.
• Establishes and maintains appropriate budget, service, and staffing levels.
• Works collaboratively with student services and instructional areas to ensure the highest level of student-centric services within Learning Commons functional units
• Adopt and expand the use of meaningful technology solutions to enhance the student experience.
• Maintain knowledge of new developments and innovative student success practices services in instructional support areas.
• Serve on college task forces, committees and councils as required.
• Ability to research, collect and analyze data to make decisions.
• Other duties may be assigned to this position on a regular or occasional basis to respond to needs of the Institute.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Incumbents may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Position requires regular and predictable attendance. The seven accredited colleges of Dallas College are part of an equal opportunity system that provides education and employment opportunities without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. The Dallas College complies with the Americans with Disabilities and Veterans Act.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Applications close: Central Standard Time